Mechanical Application & 3D Printing
The emergence of 3D Printing Technology has been impactfull across various industries including the field of mechanics.In this field , 3D printing is used for prototyping and end manufucturing stage for mechanical parts that forms a system,the parts includes friction devices such as clutches and brakes,linkages such as hinges and joints and structural components like brackets & ducts.
Benefits of 3D Printing for Mechanical Application?
- Allows for design freedom and complexity through Topology optimization, which enhances the efficiency of aspects such as weight, strength, and production costs
- Eliminates lengthy assembly process such as welding as it allows printing interconnected parts into one 3D printed part
- High pace of time to get to the market because 3D printing allows easy making, testing, and re-iterating designs
- 3D printing is a great production process for creating many mechanical parts in batches that can be printed at one go
- 3D Printing offers wide varieties of material such as plastic, metal, resins and more depending on the technical and structural requirement for the mechanical part
3D Printing Application in Mechanical Engineering
In the field of Aeronautics , 3D printing is can be used to produce different functional parts such as a jet fuel nozzle tip and more,therefore it very fruitful due to its topology optimization of mechanical parts and also it decrease the amount of pieces to be printed for a single functional part .For intance GE Aviation , a geneal electrics company which focuses on jet engine production printes almost 30000 parts ,which pose great benefit from not oly parts that were strong with 25% of weight reduced but also facilitated the assemly system ,which reduce the number of pices that makes up the printed part to 20.
3D Printed mechanic application extend to Railway design for instance networks cush as the German Mobility Goes Additive ,fotered the adoption of 3D printing in differnet industries ,they worked with Hamburg’s metro operator to make 3D printed operational and safe component to use for the vehicles .They 3D Printed mechanics like brakes and hence expaniding the application of 3D printing in the transport vehicles realms.
Drone Manufuctures use intergrated system that uses mechanical and electrinic systems,hence 3D printing opened up the ease s developing stages for their products for intance UVify , a racing frone manufuturing company uses 3D printing technology for prototyping different iterated versiong of the drone to achieve balance and test performance , aerodynamics of the design .
Making custom made products can be difficult, take time and be expensive… But by using 3D printing, it is easier! Creating adapted products is really the key in some sectors. That is why since a few years we can see a clear development of medical 3D printing, for example. But it is also true in fashion. Making adapted devices adapted to patients or customer is a real advantage.